Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for COVID-19, Portugal’s Football Federation says.
The 35-year-old Juventus striker will miss Wednesday’s UEFA Nations League game against Sweden but is “well, has no symptoms and is in isolation”, the federation said.
The federation added that the rest of the Portugal squad had undergone tests as a result of Ronaldo’s positive, but that they had all tested negative and would be available for the Sweden match.
Five-times world player of the year Ronaldo appeared in his side’s 0-0 draw away to France in the Nations League on Sunday and Wednesday’s 0-0 draw in a friendly at home to Spain.
He will now be doubtful for Juve’s Serie A trip to Crotone on Saturday and their Champions League group stage opening game away to Dynamo Kiev next Tuesday.
Neither Juve nor Ronaldo have so far commented on the positive test.
Ronaldo is not the first footballer to contract the coronavirus, but among the most famous ones.
Others include his Juventus team-mate Paulo Dybala; Paris Saint-Germain’s Neymar, Kylian Mbappe, Angel di Maria and Marquinhos; Paul Pogba of Manchester United and AC Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic.