Police are hunting at least two people after a man was shot at then struck by a stolen car in Melbourne’s southeast.
The 25-year-old Langwarrin man was walking along Cadles Road in Carrum Downs about 8.20am on Sunday when another man on foot fired two shots at him, police say.
The victim wasn’t hit by the bullets but was struck almost immediately after by the driver of a stolen black Ford Falcon.
The occupants of the Falcon, along with the man with the gun, then fled in another car, believed to be a Toyota Camry.
The 25-year-old victim was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening head and neck injuries.
It is “extremely concerning” that families were around when the incident unfolded, Detective Senior Constable Jonathon Silk said.
“Any use of firearms, particularly in this situation on a Sunday morning, is very concerning to us and we are working very hard to try and resolve each of these issues,” he told reporters on Sunday.
Police are trying to confirm their suspicious that the victim and his attackers are known to each other.
So far they have only had a brief opportunity to speak with the victim, who remains in a stable but serious condition.
Police believe at least two and possibly three people carried out the attack.
Some witnesses have come forward but detectives are urging anyone else who might have seen something, or have dashcam footage in the area from the time, to contact them.