Australia could pull all athletes from competing at this years Tokyo Olympics if the Coronavirus continues to spread.
Sports Minister Richard Colbeck told the Herald Sun “Australian athletes are ready to make their mark at the Tokyo Olympics – but it should not be at the risk of their health and wellbeing,” he said.
“We continue to work with the relevant authorities both here and overseas to ensure our athletes remain safe and protected as the response to the Coronavirus continues.”
All athletes are entitled to make their own call on whether they want to compete at the games.
The majority of athletes are currently at training camps across Australia and will come together the week before the games begin.
Chief medical officer Professor Brendan Murphy said “Japan has a significant outbreak and we still haven’t seen the full impact of the Diamond Princess outbreak. We’re making a daily evaluation of the effects.”
Training for the Olympics 80,000 volunteers was postponed last week and has now been pushed to May and the Tokyo Marathon has been opened to elite athletes only.
The Federal Government this week raised the travel advice level for the Asian nation.
“Based on advice from Australia’s Chief Medical Officer, we now recommend you ‘exercise a high degree of caution’ in Japan due to a heightened risk of sustained local transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19),” the Smartraveller website warns.
“There is a heightened risk of sustained local transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Japan.”
The 2020 Olympics will run from July 24 to August 9, with the Paralympics then running a few weeks later.