Pressure continues to mount on Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews to speed up his COVID-19 roadmap after the state notched back-to-back days of low case numbers.
Victoria recorded just 11 new cases on Monday – its lowest daily figure since June 16 – to follow up Sunday’s result of 14.
It dropped Melbourne’s 14-day case average to 34.4, well below the target of 50 to lift some virus restrictions from September 28.
But the premier has yet to confirm whether Melbourne will move to its next step on Monday, which will allow a staged return to school for some students and more workplaces to reopen.
“We will have more to say about that process later in the week,” Mr Andrews said.
Opposition Leader Michael O’Brien said Melburnians can’t afford to wait until October 26 when more onerous rules such as the 9pm-5am curfew are due to be repealed.
“These numbers dictate a faster, safer reopening,” Mr O’Brien said.
“The epidemiologists back it, the modelling backs it. Daniel Andrews needs to start listening to the experts and stop being a one-man show.”
It came as the premier claimed fining people in the Casey cluster ultimately could have cost Victoria billions of dollars.
Mr Andrews continues to defend the decision not to issue any fines over the 43-case outbreak in Melbourne’s outer southeast.
It emerged last week that some people involved in the cluster had breached lockdown rules by travelling more than 5km from home and visiting other households.
That should have meant a $1652 fine but health officials opted to withhold the penalty to aid contact tracing efforts.
There were two further coronavirus deaths on Monday, taking the state toll to 763 and the national figure to 851.