Victorian health officials haven’t ruled out beefing up COVID-19 restrictions if there is evidence a Melbourne man infected others in the community.
The man, aged in his 30s, flew into Adelaide from India via the Maldives and Singapore on April 19 before Australia’s flight ban began.
After completing quarantine at the Playford Hotel, he returned to his home in suburban Melbourne’s Wollert early last week and developed symptoms on Saturday before testing positive on Tuesday.
South Australian authorities are examining whether the man contracted the virus before arrival and had an unusually-long incubation period, or caught it from a person with the virus in a neighbouring hotel room.
Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton suspects the man picked it up in the hotel, not India or on his international flights.
All three of the man’s household contacts have returned negative test results, with Prof Sutton describing it as an “early encouraging sign”.
Contact tracers have identified four “tier one” exposure sites linked to the man, including an Altona North office where he worked and an Indian restaurant and bar in central Melbourne.
Anyone who visited the sites at specific times must get tested and isolate for 14 days from exposure.
Two Friday night train services to and from Craigieburn and Southern Cross are among five “tier two” exposure sites.
The domestic flight and Adelaide and Melbourne airports are not among them as the man isn’t believed to have been infectious at the time.
But Victoria’s COVID-19 response commander Jeroen Weimar said the health department was contacting passengers through the flight manifest, asking them to take a precautionary test.
He added that evidence of community spread within Melbourne would prompt officials to consider “the next set of appropriate measures”.
“I’m not going to sit here and speculate on what that might be,” he told the ABC.
“If we are finding positive cases in the workplace or exposure sites that would obviously be a significant cause for concern.”
Mr Weimar said it appeared not all of the 30 to 40 diners in the Curry Vault restaurant on Friday night checked in with the Services Victoria QR code system.
South Australia’s genomic sequencing report could shed light on the source of the man’s infection but is expected to take 48 hours to complete.