Rolling Stone just posted the results of its online poll asking readers to name the 10 Best Supergroups of All Time.
To define the genre, think of artists who enjoyed prior success either solo or in another group before forming a new band. Then, imagine the tap dance to blend their talent effectively and balance oversized egos.
Here is the Top 10 and their key members:
1. Traveling Wilburys
Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, Jeff Lynne and George Harrison
Eric Clapton (Yardbirds), Ginger Baker (Graham Bond Organization) and Jack Bruce (Manfred Mann)
3. Temple of the Dog Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Stone Gossard (Pearl Jam) and Matt Cameron (Soundgarden, Pearl Jam)
4. Them Crooked Vultures Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters), Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age) and John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin)
5. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young David Crosby (The Byrds), Graham Nash (The Hollies), Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield) and Neil Young (Buffalo Springfield)
6. Blind Faith Eric Clapton (Cream), Ginger Baker (Cream), Steve Winwood (Traffic) and Ric Grech (Family)
7. Mad Season Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Layne Staley (Alice In Chains), Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) and John Baker Saunders (The Walkabouts)
8. The Highwaymen Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings and Kris Kristofferson
9. Audioslave Chris Cornell (Soundgarden), Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine), Brad Wilk (Rage Against The Machine) and Tim Commerford (Rage Against The Machine)
10. Bad Company Paul Rodgers (Free), Simon Kirke (Free), Mick Ralphs (Mott the Hoople) and Boz Burrell (King Crimson)