How To Prepare For The Severe Weather In Melbourne
Victorians are being warned about the severe weather that is heading towards Melbourne this weekend with torrential rain and severe flash flooding expected.
People are being told to remain indoors and avoid driving if possible with the brunt of the storms expected to hit Melbourne from Friday afternoon and continue into Saturday morning.
With 100 millimetres of rainfall expected to hit the area within two days, Victorians are being told to have emergency evacuation and safety plans in place and to prepare basic emergency supplies.
So what do you need to know to prepare for the severe weather?
- Do not attempt to drive through flash flood waters
- People in high-risk zones should prepare this morning before storms set in by clearing gutters, preparing sandbags and unplugging electrical items
- Those living in low-lying areas should evacuate for the weekend with heavy flooding expected
- Stay away from rivers and storm drains
- Have evacuation and safety plans in place for every member of your household including pets
- Keep official emergency numbers and information handy such as emergency.vic.gov.au, ses.vic.gov.au and the VicEmergency Hotline 1800 226 226
- Prepare an emergency kit: items may include first aid kit, torch with spare batteries, bottled water, non-perishable food, portable radio with spare batteries, rubber gloves and any personal items such as mobile phone, medications, birth certificates, passports etc.
Stay safe out there Victoria.