Victorian Firies Continue Battle Against Fires
The bushfire alert in southwest Victoria has been downgraded, but authorities say people should remain vigilant, with the fire at Terang and Cobden not yet under control.
Firefighters have stopped the spread of the fire and there is no threat to communities, but people should continue to stay informed and monitor conditions, the CFA says in a statement on Tuesday.
The full scope of the devastation is yet to be revealed with other significant fires still burning at Gazette, Gavroc and Camperdown with alerts in place.
The size of the land burnt in the fires has been drastically reduced from the original 40,000 hectares to 15,000ha, a CFA spokeswoman says.
Up to 18 homes, 42 dairy and machinery sheds and hundreds of livestock have been lost in the blazes, with the animal death count to run into the thousands across the farming areas.
Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Stephen King said about 2mm of rain was expected to have fallen overnight before westerly winds moved across the state's southwest on Tuesday.
He said the temperature would sit on about 19C for the fire areas with windy conditions easing on Wednesday night.
About 1200 properties in the fire-affected areas have lost power, and for some, it will be days before it's restored, and specialist teams are assessing the loss.
No people had been reported missing or injured, a CFA spokeswoman said.
It's believed not all of the homes destroyed were being lived in when the fires hit.
Lightning strikes on Saturday are likely responsible for the blazes, and follow 45 days of no significant rain in Victoria.
Mr Andrews said police investigators were working to confirm what caused the fires