Gold 104.3

Now Playing:

Listen on

Stocco Father-Son Duo Caught After Eight Years On The Run

An eight-year hunt for two of Australia's most wanted men has come to an end.

Father and son fugitives Gino and Mark Stocco have been arrested by NSW Police in Dunedoo, near Dubbo in NSW's central west, police said on Wednesday morning.

They reportedly surrendered with their arms up to heavily armed police, according to the Nine Network.

The pair were on a property on the outskirts of Dunedoo, about 90km east of Dubbo.

The pair have been crossing between NSW and Victoria for the past 12 days since allegedly shooting at two police cars in Wagga Wagga earlier this month.

Their last confirmed sighting was at a service station at South Gundagai on Saturday night, more than 400km from Dubbo.

Police have wanted to charge Gino, 58, and Mark, 35, with 13 offences each, including attempted murder following the alleged shoot out.

They were also wanted on warrants in relation to property damage in Queensland, dating back to 2007.

The men remain at an isolated property called Pinevale on the Golden Highway near Boomley Road, where police arrested them on Wednesday morning.

Police will address media from Dubbo later on Wednesday afternoon.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione praised the actions of the police as the greatest concern was that the pair was armed and dangerous.

"A great result," he told 2GB Radio. "It is important that we always remember that we were in the business of stopping this going any further.

"These two men in custody now means that it is over."

Dunedoo locals near where the Stoccos were finally arrested had no idea the dangerous duo were in the area.

The owner of Dunedoo's White Rose Cafe said about eight police cars arrived in the town at around 6am on Wednesday.

"Everyone's talking about it ... I only saw a lot of police in the area," Karleeta Ryan told AAP on Wednesday.

She said the news was spreading fast through the small town, which is about 350km northwest of Sydney.


Share this: