Sara Tomic Hoping To Follow In Her Brother's Open Footsteps
Sara Tomic will look to replicate her older brother by taking a step towards the main draw of the Australian Open.
Bernard Tomic made a stunning return to competitive tennis on Wednesday, taking just 48 minutes to defeat Frenchman Vincent Millot in the first round of qualifying.
His 19-year-old sibling, yet to make a main draw appearance at a grand slam, must beat Russian Sofya Zhuk to do so at Melbourne Park.
Eight Australian women feature in first-round qualifying ties on Thursday.
The highest ranked is Priscilla Hon, who has drawn Barbora Stefkova of Czech Republic.
Three of the five men to win their first-round qualifiers will also return to the court.
John-Patrick Smith, Bradley Mousley and Andrew Whittington will all bid to reach the final round of qualifying, with Bernard Tomic and James Duckworth to play their next matches on Friday.
Qualifiers must win three matches to reach the main draw of the Australian Open, which begins on Monday.
AUSSIE WOMEN IN FIRST-ROUND QUALIFYING ACTION ON THURSDAY
* Ellen Perez v Valentini Grammatikopoulou (Greece)
* Priscilla Hon v Barbora Stefkova (Czech Republic)
* Naiktha Bains v 6-Danka Kovinic (Montenegro)
* Tammi Patterson v Ysaline Bonaventure (Belgium)
* Anastasia Rodionova v Marta Kostyuk (Ukraine)
* Isabelle Wallace v Anna Karolina Schmeidlova (Slovakia)
* Sara Tomic v Sofya Zhuk (Russia)
* Kimberly Birrell v 21-Xinyun Han (China)
AUSSIE MEN IN SECOND-ROUND QUALIFYING ACTION ON THURSDAY
* John-Patrick Smith v 6-Cameron Norrie (Great Britain)
* Bradley Mousley v Ricardo Ojeda Lara (Spain)
* Andrew Whittington v Vaclav Safranek (Czech Republic)