Gold 104.3

Now Playing:

Listen on

Mums Being Warned About Potentially Toxic Baby Formula

“POTENTIALLY toxic” nanoparticles have been found in popular Australian baby formulas, sparking calls for the brands to be recalled.

Research commissioned by environment group Friends of the Earth found that three of seven samples of infant formula on sale in Australia contained microscopic nano-hydroxyapatite particles, which is prohibited.

According to a report on, nano-hydroxyapatite has been found to cause cell death in the liver and kidneys of rats and is prohibited for use in infant formula in Australia in any form.

Hydroxyapatite is naturally present in bones, but Friends of the Earth claim all food grade nano-hydroxyapatite is “synthetically produced” and presents serious health concerns due to its very small size.

“Due to their very small size, nanoparticles have been demonstrated to be more likely than larger particles to enter cells, tissues and organs,” it said.

“They can be more chemically reactive and more bioactive than larger particles of the same chemicals.”

The research found that two of these samples — Nestlé NAN H.A. Gold 1 and Nature’s Way Kids Smart 1 — contained a tiny, needle-like form of nano-hydroxyapatite.

Reports state that this form of nano-hydroxyapatite should not be permitted in oral products such as toothpaste and mouthwash because of its potential toxicity.


Share this: