Gold 104.3
PURE GOLD

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Melbourne Rampage Driver James Gargasoulas Awaits Sentence

It will be more than two years between the crime and penalty for Melbourne mass-murderer James Gargasoulas.

The 28-year-old is due back in court in January next year after being found guilty of murdering six pedestrians and injuring dozens of others during a car rampage through central Melbourne in January 2017.

It took a Supreme Court jury less than an hour on Tuesday to unanimously find Gargasoulas guilty of his crimes.

He had pleaded not guilty to offences including 27 counts of reckless conduct endangering life.

From the witness box he argued that a premonition had granted him permission to injure but not kill people, while apologising for his actions.

"I apologise from my heart but that's not going to fix anything ... neither will a lengthy sentence fix what I done," he said.

Gargasoulas, who has treatment-resistant paranoid schizophrenia, admitted driving through busy Bourke Street mall and along footpaths.

A lawyer for five of the murder victims' families said they were grateful for the verdict.

"This was an intentional, callous act by Mr Gargasoulas that has stolen six innocent victims from the people that love them," Genna Angelowitsch said outside court.

Throughout the legal proceedings, Gargasoulas has maintained delusions including he would be made king during the trial, that he must convince the world that "God's law" must be reinstated, and that a comet will hit Earth.

He was previously "very keen" to be found mentally fit to stand trial.

Gargasoulas will return to court on January 29 next year for a two-and-a-half day plea hearing ahead of sentencing.

Lifeline 13 11 14

beyondblue 1300 22 4636

AAP

Share this: