Gold 104.3
PURE GOLD

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Man 'Ran Through Flames' After Gas Bottle Exploded In Car

A leaking gas bottle has been found as the cause of a unit fire in Melbourne's south-east that left a 58-year-old man trapped, forcing him to run through the flames.

Firefighters attended the blaze that occurred at around 2pm on Wednesday at an apartment block on Hughenden Road in St Kilda East.

It is believed that the gas bottle had been leaking in the boot of the man's Audi and exploded when he tried to start the engine.

The flames soon spread to the rest of the building and the garage, which a crew of 25 firefighters spent 30 minutes trying to keep under control.

Marco Peruzzo was in a building nearby and said he could hear and feel the explosion.

"All of a sudden my wife was shouting 'get out of there', Mr Peruzzo said.

It is reported that the owner of the audi vehicle had to run through the blaze in order to get out of the garage.

Witnesses at the scene have spoken to 9NEWS and said that they saw the 58-year-old lying on the road with singed hair, and screaming for help.

He is currently in a stable condition at the Alfred Hospital with burns to his hands and face. However, the Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB) said that he was lucky to escape without more serious injuries.

"It could've been a lot worse...if he hadn't have escaped the garage as soon as he did, we might have had a fatality."

The man's pet cat was also rescued from the blaze by firefighters.

Investigations into the fire remain ongoing this morning.

Image via twitter @lexidaish

Share this: