These Mushroom Mash-Ups Make Summer Cooking Easy
Mushrooms are a great option for simple summer eating - they're tasty, convenient, versatile and nutritious. Get stuck in!
MEDITERRANEAN MUSHROOM AND CHORIZO SKEWERS
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp brown sugar
24 button mushrooms
3 chorizo sausages
1 red capsicum
1 yellow capsicum
Tossed salad and lemon wedges, to serve
1. Combine oil, lemon juice, paprika and sugar in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk until well combined. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat all the mushrooms. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
2. Cut each chorizo into eight slices. Cut capsicums into pieces. Thread the chorizo, capsicum and mushrooms alternately onto eight skewers.
3. Heat a lightly greased barbecue plate on medium-high. Barbecue the skewers, turning often, for 6-8 minutes or until mushrooms and chorizo are warmed through. Serve with salad and lemon wedges.
PORTABELLA MUSHROOM FRIES
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
100g (⅔ cup) plain flour
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups panko breadcrumbs
250g Portabella Mushrooms, stalks trimmed, cut into thin fries
Salt and pepper, to season
2 tsp harissa
1 cup Greek-style yoghurt
1. Heat enough oil in a large saucepan to come one-third up the sides to 170°C
2. Meanwhile, place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into 3 separate wide, shallow bowls
3. Season the flour well with salt and pepper. Dust the mushroom fries in the flour, shaking off
any excess, dip into the egg, then coat well in the breadcrumbs
4. In batches, deep-fry the fries for 5 minutes or until golden and cooked. Drain well on paper
towel and season with salt
1. Mix harissa together with yoghurt. Serve with fries.
Want more mushie mash-ups? Delve into the Australian Mushrooms’ Summer Cookbook.
Australian Mushrooms. Much healthier. Much tastier.